Changing Your Name
Getting married traditionally involves the bride changing her maiden name to the surname of her new husband. Although this remains a popular choice, it is not a legal pre-requisite and there are other options open to you. You could retain your maiden name, choose a double barrelled surname, keep your maiden name as your middle name or even have your husband change his name!

Retaining Your Middle Name
If you choose the option of retaining your maiden name, this has the clear advantage of there being no need to change any of your documents. A good choice for those who are in a profession where their names are well known, and to change surnames could be detrimental.

A Double Barrelled Surname
To change your name so that you have a hyphenated surname which combines both of your surnames is a little more complicated. If you decide on this option then make sure you make arrangements well in advance of your wedding so that the changes are immediate as soon as the wedding is over. If you would like to see this name on all of your documents then you will have to do this via Deed Poll. The best (and cheapest) way of doing this is for your husband to change his name before the wedding (he should start the ball rolling at least two or three months in advance). That way, you will be able to take on his new name straight after the wedding and will not have to go via Deed Poll.

Changing His Name
It is possible for the groom to change his name if you both prefer. This makes things very simple for the bride. The groom can start using the bride's surname straight after the wedding. Unlike the traditional method where the bride takes on the groom's name, the groom must go through Deed Poll to change all his official records and documents.

Using Your Maiden Name as a Middle Name
A good way of keeping your maiden name incorporated in your name is to make it your middle name. To do this and have all your records and documents changed accordingly, you need to change your name by Deed Poll after your marriage.

Using Both Names
Changing your name, especially in certain professions such as acting, can sometimes be deemed detrimental to the career. Many brides like to keep the option of using their maiden name for this reason, but also enjoy the tradition of taking on their husbands name too. You can legally pick and choose in which circumstances you are called by your maiden name and which by your married name. Of course this can create financial and legal confusion, which is why many brides eventually do choose to take on their husband's name.

What Do You Need To Consider?
So, if you decide to go with the tried and trusted procedure of taking on your husband's name then although you do not need to go through Deed Poll, you will need to notify everyone of your change of name, supplying proof of marriage in most cases. Make sure that you have thought about each and every aspect of your life so that your name is changed on all the right documents.

Your current passport is the one you will use when going abroad on your Honeymoon.

On your return, if you wish to change your name on your passport, you can contact the Passport Office and apply for a new passport using the necessary forms, which are usually available from any Garda Station.
You will need to supply your marriage certificate before you can get your name changed.

Other Documents
There are lots of companies and parts of your life that you need to consider as you change your name, most of which will need to be notified in writing. Write a standard letter informing people of your name change and attach a photocopy of your marriage certificate to each. Government departments, Banks and Building Societies will need to see the original document to make the changes but most other establishments will simply need a photocopy.

We have listed below many of the companies and organisations you need advise of your name change:

Building society (mortgage and/or savings accounts)
Credit card and store cards
Clubs and societies
Department of Health & Social Security
Driving Licence Association
Email address change?
Finance/loan companies
Inland Revenue
Institutes such as universities etc
Insurance companies
Investment companies including premium bonds and shares
Mail order catalogue companies
Car organisations
Passport office
Pension company